What do I need to bring?
Essential items to bring:
– small backpack
– water bottle
– warm layers (preferably no cotton)
– rain jacket
– hiking boots or running shoes (no flip flops or sandals)
Other things you may want to bring:
– change of clothes
– towel (if you plan on swimming)
– rain pants
How long/difficult is the hike?
The hike is around 9km return and we will gain approximately 450 meters of elevation (which translates to climbing over 120 flights of stairs). The hike is of intermediate difficulty, especially for those who don’t exercise often. The group will move at the pace of the slowest hiker and the hike is punctuated with multiple stops to talk about points of interest and take little breaks along the way.
What’s the deal with transportation?
We provide an all-inclusive service, meaning that guests are picked up from the downtown area and returned there at the end of the trip. We use an 11 passenger air-conditioned van for our tours.
For the 2019 season, our 6 pick up points are:
HI Jericho Beach – 1515 Discovery St, Vancouver, BC V6R 4K5
HI Downtown – 1114 Burnaby St, Vancouver, BC V6E 1P1
HI Central/Samesun Vancouver – 1025 Granville St, Vancouver, BC V6Z 1L4 or 1018 Granville St, Vancouver, BC V6Z 1L5
The Cambie Seymour – 515 Seymour St, Vancouver, BC V6B 3H6
The Cambie Gastown – 310 Cambie St, Vancouver, BC V6B 2N3
Canada Place – 999 Canada Pl, Vancouver, BC V6C 3T4
What about safety?
Guest safety is our number one priority. All guides are first aid trained and carry first aid kits, as well as emergency beacon devices in case of a situation where we need external aid from Search and Rescue. Bear spray and air horns are also carried to deter any curious critters that we may encounter.
Are there washrooms?
Washroom facilities are accessible before and after the hike at the parking lot- once we leave its au naturale. Guides will carry a trowel and toilet paper and will be happy to give a quick lesson on how to use the “facilitrees” in an environmentally friendly manner.
If you need to cancel your single day tour with The West Coast Experience, the following policies apply:
- Cancellations made 48 hours before the beginning of the tour/trip will be fully refunded. Tours are no longer eligible for a refund once past the 48-hour timeframe and guests will be given the opportunity to reschedule for another tour.
- If The West Coast Experience cancels a tour/trip due to unsafe conditions, guests will be given the opportunity to reschedule or receive a full refund.
If you need to cancel your Duke of Ed Practice or Adventurous Journey the following policies apply:
- Guests who wish to cancel their trip are eligible for a refund provided the cancellation process is initiated 7 days prior to the scheduled start of the trip.
- Guests who begin the cancellation process less than 7 days prior to the scheduled start of the trip are not eligible for a refund, however we will do our best to accommodate a rescheduled trip if dates allow.